A simple delicious vegetarian recipe for Shells Pasta with Broccoli Sauce.
As some of you might already know, i’m from a village on the sunny hills of Florence, Tuscany, and this recipe is a traditional Tuscan recipe! When i first described it to my fiance, how the broccoli was cooked down and melted into a sauce, he definitely had some reservations. The thought of some kind of mushy broccoli seemed really unappealing, but as i continued describing how luscious the broccoli sauce actually was and the way the shells pasta hold it so perfectly, he was intrigued!
This Shell Pasta with Broccoli Sauce is very easy and quick to make, and not only this recipe is full of flavor but nutrients too! Pasta with broccoli, as we call it, is also a very versatile dish, you can, in fact, add anchovies, pine nuts, or sausage to the ingredients.
RECIPE’S NOTES AND TIPS
- I recommend using fresh broccoli for best results.
- As with any recipe, feel free to tweak seasonings to your taste. You can always up the chilli flakes, add more garlic etc. to make it perfect for your taste buds.
- Make sure the broccoli don’t dry out while cooking in the pan, add a splash of water from the pasta. The right consistency is not too dry or too runny.
Shells Pasta With Broccoli Sauce
- 330 g shells pasta
- 600 g broccoli
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Wash the broccoli and remove the stalks. In a medium saucepan with water, let the small broccoli florets boil until tender. set aside.
- Salt the same water that you used for the broccoli. Add the pasta and cook it al dente, according to directions. In the meanwhile, in a large pan, saute the garlic and chilli flakes in the olive oil, cook for about 2-3 minutes. Add the broccoli to the pan with a little bit of the water from the pasta. Sprinkle with pepper and salt.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the pan, and toss it. Serve the pasta with some grated Parmesan.