A tender, delicate sour cream cake with two layers of cinnamon crumbs – both inside and on top of the cake. Golden, fluffy, and so buttery, this is my idea of coffee cake perfection.
While I am generally happy to share every recipe that I post, there are some that I am REALLY excited to share, and this is one of them. And one thing that I can never resist is coffee cake.
WHAT IS COFFEE CAKE?
Coffee cake is a butter-based cake that, contrary to what the name implies, does NOT contain coffee. Its somewhere between a regular cake and a pound cake in terms of weight and texture. It’s not supposed to be overly sweet, and is meant to be paired with a cup of coffee- hence the name.
HOW TO MAKE STREUSEL COFFEE CAKE?
Making the streusel is super easy. No stand mixer or pastry cutter is needed. For the streusel all you need to do is mix melted butter with the dry ingredients. The mixture becomes moist and crumbly as a result. The cake is done by using the creaming method. That means creaming the butter and sugar first, then beating in the eggs and vanilla. Only then do you add the dry ingredients and sour cream alternatively. Then, scrape half of the batter to the pan, then half of the crumbs and repeat.
Streusel Coffee Cake
For The Streusel Crumbs
- 130 g all-purpose flour
- 70 g granulated sugar
- 70 g brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 90 g unsalted butter, melted
For The Cake
- 210 g all purpose flour
- 115 g unsalted butter
- 200 g granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 240 g sour cream
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan degrees. Grease a 9-inch pan ( square). Set aside.
For The Streusel
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Add the melted butter and mix the mixture is uniformly moistened and crumbs form. Set aside.
For The Cake
- In a medium bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixer bowl fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed for one minute until creamy. Add sugar and beat on medium speed, until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time until combined. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as necessary. Beat in vanilla extract. Beat in the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating it with the sour cream. Do not overmix.
- Scrape half of the batter into the prepared pan and smooth it into an even layer. Sprinkle the streusel mixture evenly over the batter. Scrape the remaining batter on top and smooth it into an even layer. Sprinkle the remaining streusel mixture evenly on top of the cake. Gently press down with your hands so the crumbs will stick to the batter.
- Bake the cake for 30-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Place the cake in the pan on a wire rack to cool completely.