Best Fudgy Chocolate Crinkle Cookies have an irresistible brownie textured centre, with a crunch of cookie on the outside.
These cookies are thick, incredibly soft, and are as rich and fudgy as brownies. They are coated in icing sugar, and then baked to create those beautiful, eye-catching crinkles.
I tend to indulge in more than just one because I love these cookies! The chocolate crinkles are fudgy with a soft and chewy centre, but still have a slightly crisp edge. The brownie-like cookies are coated in confectioner’s sugar.
The recipe makes a lot of cookies so they are perfect for sharing and gifting! When the cookies melt in the oven, they crackle with the perfect snow affect. They remind me of a winter wonderland and Christmas holidays! They really are the perfect Christmas cookie!
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE CRINKLE COOKIES
Mix dry ingredients together. You need all-purpose flour, natural unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
Beat wet ingredients together. You need butter, white sugar, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla extract. Room temperature butter and egg will mix more evenly into each other, creating a uniform texture among all the cookies. Additionally, both whip into a greater volume when at room temperature, producing a softer-crumbed cookie.
Combine all ingredients. And don’t forget to add the chocolate chips! I like to use mini size so there’s more in every bite.
Chill the cookie dough in the refrigerator. The cookie dough is sticky and unmanageable, so chilling is necessary. Sometimes I chill it overnight, but 2 hours is perfect. Chilled cookie dough is not only easy to handle and roll into balls, it also bakes thicker cookies.
Roll cookie dough into balls. After chilling, roll the cookie dough into balls, about 1.5 Tablespoons of dough per cookie.
Coat in confectioners’ sugar. Roll the cookie dough balls into granulated sugar, then a hefty dunk in confectioners’ sugar. Why granulated sugar first? That’s a new trick I discovered! See below.
Bake. Bake the cookies for 11-12 minutes.
The Best Fudgy Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- 60 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 200 g granulated sugar
- 60 ml vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 130 g all purpose or plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- icing sugar for coating
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cocoa powder, white sugar and vegetable oil. Beat in eggs one at a time, until fully incorporated. Mix in the almond extract.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet mixture just until a dough forms . Cover bowl with wrap and refrigerate for at least 5 hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 170°C. Line 2 cookie sheets or baking trays with parchment paper. Roll 1 tablespoonful of dough into balls.
- Add the icing sugar to a smaller bowl. Generously and evenly coat each ball of dough in icing sugar and place onto prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. The cookies will come out soft from the oven but will harden up as they cool.
- Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes.