A thin, crisp exterior that gives way to an airy and tender centre filled with a pastry cream.
The doughnuts are rolled in a coating of granulated sugar while they’re still warm, These cream filled donuts are soft pillows with an easy cream filling. The donuts are deep fried and then the filling is piped into them.
Making donuts at home is actually pretty easy, with time being the only thing you really have to be mindful of. They require minimal ingredients and there is plenty of fillings you could add.
Treat the dough gently and be careful with the hot oil, not too hot not too cold, and you should end up with a perfect donut that would rival any donut shop.
I believe that the vanilla bean seeds in the pastry cream just bring the Donuts to a whole new level! You can make the donuts dough a day before you intend to make your donuts.
Remove the dough from the fridge after resting overnight, and start by rolling it out til about 1/2 inch thick.
Cut it into circles with a cookie cutter.
Then, let donuts rise.
Fry donuts. Immediately coat them in granulated sugar. The donuts have to be hot so this way the granulated sugar will stick to it.
Once donuts have cooled down, you can pipe the filling into the donuts.
Vanilla Cream-Filled Donuts
- 250 ml buttermilk
- 60 ml vegetable oil
- 4 eggs yolks, at room temperature
- 750 g all-purpose flour
- 60 g granulated sugar
- 13 g instant dry yeast
- 1/4 tsp salt
- oil for frying
Vanilla Cream Filling
- 4 egg yolks
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 30 g all-purpose flour
- 500 ml milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
Make The Dough
- In a bowl, combine buttermilk, oil and egg yolks.In a large bowl, with a wooden spoon or in a stand mixer using the dough attachment, combine flour, sugar, yeast and salt.
- Add milk mixture and stir until dough forms into a ball, about 3 minutes. On a floured work surface, knead dough for 2 minutes or until smooth. Place in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise for 2 hour or overnight in a warm and humid place.
- On a floured work surface, cut dough in half. Roll out dough, to a 6 to 8-mm (1/4-inch) thick sheet. Cut doughnuts with a 7.5-cm (3-inch) round cookie cutter. Place on a floured cookie sheet. Cover with a dry cloth and let rise for 40 minutes in a warm until doubled in size.
Make The Cream Filling
- To prepare a perfect pastry cream, mix the yolks with the sugar in a saucepan, using a wooden spoon.
- Gradually add the flour, without stopping stirring until the mixture is mixed.heat the milk and add the vanilla extract, once the milk is simmering add to the egg mixture, a little at a time, and always starring. Keep stirring, simmer for 3-4 minutes. Do not overcook because the cream will continue to cook even once removed from the heat. In this way you will obtain a smooth pastry cream without unpleasant hints of cooked egg.
Fry The Donuts
- Fill a large, heavy-bottomed pot with 3 inches of oil and place over medium-high heat While the oil heats, line a baking sheet with a double layer of paper towels for draining the doughnuts. Place the sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
- Put the donuts into the hot oil and fry until golden brown on the underside, 2 to 3 minutes. Carefully turn the donuts over and fry for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, or until the other side is golden brown as well. Remove the donuts to the paper towel-lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining donuts.Toss them in the sugar one at a time to evenly coat them.
- Allow to cool.
- Once the donuts are cooled, transfer the cream to a pastry bag fitting with a small round decorating tip, poke a hole in the side of each donut and fill with pastry cream. The donuts should be served as soon as they are filled. They are best the same day they are made.