Fluffy, moist red velvet sheet cake with a velvety cream cheese frosting.
This fun cake is perfect for a crowd on any occasion. Its the perfect red velvet sheet cake!
This recipe takes everything that is great about red velvet cake, and puts it in a sheet cake!!It is a beautiful deep red cake with creamy white frosting. But as nice as this cake looks, it tastes absolutely amazing. It is perfect for any day that you want a slice of red velvet and perfect to share with a crowd.
What is Red Velvet Cake Made Of?
Traditional red velvet cake gets its red color from the acidic reaction the vinegar and buttermilk create to enhance the red hues in non-Dutch cocoa powder. While most red velvet cake recipes still use buttermilk and vinegar, red food coloring or red velvet emulsion is used to exaggerate the red color.
Red Velvet Sheet Cake
- 305 g cake flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 7 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 75 g unsalted butter
- 360 g granulated sugar
- 200 ml vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 200 ml buttermilk
- liquid or gel food coloring
- 455 g cream cheese
- 120 g unsalted butter
- 550 g icing sugar
- 20 ml milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 180 C degrees. Lightly spray a 15x10x1" jelly roll sheet pan with non-stick baking spray. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside. With a hand or stand mixer, combine the oil, granulated sugar and eggs. Add in the food coloring and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- In a small bowl, stir together the buttermilk and baking soda. Stir together until the baking soda dissolves into the milk. Liquid will become frothy. With the mixer running, gradually add the dry ingredients, alternating with the buttermilk mixture to the batter in the main mixing bowl. Stop the mixer occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Pour the batter into the sheet pan, and smooth out evenly with a spatula. Bake the cake at 180C for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and crumb-free.
- Remove cake from oven and let cool to room temperature.
For the Cheese Frosting
- With a hand or stand mixer, cream together the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the vanilla and incorporate well. Gradually begin adding the powdered sugar one cup at a time, salt and milk, stopping the mixer to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Spread the frosting evenly over the top of the cooled sheet cake. Top with any sprinkles of your choosing, if desired.